Unfortunately, from time to time our cars breakdown on the side of the road. Whether you know how to get the vehicle running or not, it is important to take certain precautions while you are there to keep you and your passengers safe. Ofcourse if you are ever stranded in the Siouxland area, call us and we will get to you as fast as we can to get you and your vehicle off the road safely.
Below are a list of steps you will want to take in the event that your vehicle is stranded on the side of the road.
1. Pull of the road safeley and into a parking lot if you are able. If you are on the highway, pull off onto either the right or left shoulders as safely as you can. Ideally you will pull of to the right shoulder. If you aren’t able to pull off of the road and believe you may be at risk of being hit, its best to get you and your passengers out of the vehicle and off of the road. If you are near in or near a traffic lane, be sure to turn on your hazard lights (and use traffic triangles if you have them) to let other drivers know that you are experiencing difficulties.
If you have to exit your vehicle:
2. Take note of where you are before calling for assistance. What was the last mile marker or exit that you passed? Are you near a major intersection and where are you in relation to it? Are there any landmarks that you can recall like restaurants, malls, gas stations, etc.?
3. After everyone in the car is in a safe location, call 911. The emergency responders will give you specific instructions for your particular situation.
4. Try to figure out what happened to your vehicles problem.
5. Call for Roadside assistance. Often times in these situations, it’s best to get a towing professional involved as they have the training and experience to deal with all kinds of situations.