Unfortunately, from time to time our cars breakdown on the side of the road. Whether you know how to get the vehicle running or not, it is important to take certain precautions while you are there to keep you and your passengers safe. Ofcourse if you are ever stranded in the Siouxland area, call us and we will get to you as fast as we can to get you and your vehicle off the road safely.
Here are some of the steps you will want to take in the event that your vehicle is stranded on the side of the road.
1. Get off the road and into a parking lot if you are able. If you are on the highway, pull over to the right shoulder as quickly and safely as possible. If you aren’t able to get to the right shoulder, pull over to the left shoulder and move as far away from the left lanes as you can. If you aren’t able to pull off of the road and believe that you are at risk of being hit from behind, do not stay in your vehicle. If you are near in or near a traffic lane, be sure to turn on your hazard lights (and use traffic triangles if you have them) to let other drivers know that you are experiencing difficulties.
If you have to exit your vehicle:
2. Take note of where you are before calling for assistance. What was the last mile marker or exit that you passed? Are you near a major intersection and where are you in relation to it? Are there any landmarks that you can recall like restaurants, malls, gas stations, etc.?
3. After you and your passengers are safe. Call 911. The emergency responders will give you specific instructions on what to do given your current situation.
4. Try to figure out what happened to your vehicle. Did you hear any unusual noises, experience any out-of-the-ordinary car responses, or note any steam or smoke coming from under the hood?
5. Call for Roadside assistance. Often times in these situations, it’s best to get a towing professional involved as they have the training and experience to deal with all kinds of situations.